3/30/17 William’s surgery…

William had surgery today. We were to be at the hospital at seven thirty for surgery at nine thirty. William couldn’t eat or drink anything this morning so he got up about fifteen minutes before we were going to leave. When I got a look at his face under the hoodie, I noticed that he hadn’t showered last night. Really… we were leaving in five minutes for surgery and he was still greasy from work yesterday. He had been reminded to shower last night, but when the kids are adults, I don’t monitor them as close any more. I told William that he had two minutes to shower and dress. He took fifteen minutes. We got to the hospital on time. The lady at check in commented that we were early for surgery. I said that the doctor had asked us to come in at seven thirty for a nine thirty surgery. She said that the surgery was scheduled for twelve thirty. I’m glad that they moved the time and not the day. William and I said that it was OK and we would wait there and not go home and come back.

William napped and I watched TV and read a book while we waited. The receptionist said that there was a gift shop if wanted to spend some time there. William said no. After an hour or two he went to the car to sleep. I went to the gift shop. It was a nice walk and I didn’t get lost on the way there or the way back. Sometimes in hospitals, all of the hallways look the same, so it is easy to make a wrong turn and not realize it, or be able to find your way back.
 Eventually they paged us and William and I went back. He still likes me to go with him. He now answers most of the questions on his own, but he likes me there if he needs help. He wouldn’t let me take a picture of him in the hospital bed. He only likes his picture taken if he is doing something and looking helpful, not if he looks weak and in a hospital bed.
While he was in surgery, I couldn’t read any more. It is too difficult to concentrate and worry about the kids at the same time.
The surgery took about a half hour. The doctor came out and said that it went well. He thought that William should stay home tomorrow, Friday, so that the incision can heal before he goes back to work cleaning machines. Then, he will have Saturday and Sunday off too. William spent an hour in recovery. Then we went home.
We stopped at Burger King on the way home and got William a sandwich. We also stopped at Little Caesar and got pizza to take home. William was able to walk into the house on his own.
 He hasn’t been limping but he was babying that leg and was moving slowly. I do hope after this his leg hurts less. William is now laying on the couch watching a library video.


Views All Time
Views All Time
Views Today
Views Today

Leave a Comment

Translate »